About + CV
I am a full time practising artist from South Africa, currently based in Cork, Ireland. I graduated from The Michaelis School of Fine Arts at the University of Cape Town, South Africa in 2015 with my BAFA majoring in printmaking and art history. The following year I graduated with my honours in Curatorial Studies in 2016, also from Michaelis. Since then I have been working within various creative industries such as galleries, bookstores, printmaking studios, binderies and framing studios.
Over the years I have also taken part in various printmaking, bookbinding and book restoration internships to further my practical knowledge of bookbinding. During my studies and in my current artist practice, books and artist books have been one of the main sources of inspiration for my work. My love and appreciation for books and my artistic visual language are strongly attributed to my dyslexia, developed from how my relationship with books and written language words is slightly different from a neurotypical reader. I have always been fascinated by a book’s objectivity and a written language’s visual capabilities, how they act as carriers of knowledge and meaning. Through my work I continue to explore those relationships in the form of printmaking and book arts; further developing and expanding those concepts of words, knowledge, books and the craft of bookbinding.
Alongside my artistic practice, I am also a collaborative bookbinder and owner of Bookward Bound Bindery. I work with various creatives, authors and artists to create one-off and short-run publications using traditional bookbinding techniques within a contemporary framework.
As a way to add a new perspective to the creative discourse within South Africa and the contemporary creative world, myself and co-founder/co-host Amé Bell, founded the Chopped Liver Appreciation Society and the Chopped Liver Podcast. A platform supporting creatives and innovators following unconventional career paths in various creative industries.
- The Printing Girls 2021, 2021, The Art Room, Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Mother Nature in Monotype, 2021, White River Gallery, South Africa
- Amplifica: A Medley of Moods in Miniature, 2021, KKNK, online exhibition, South Africa.
- The Troubled Archive, 2021, The Labyrinth Project, Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Pictures Worth A Thousand Words, 2020, David Krut Projects, Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Artist Book Exhibition, 2020, The
Project Space, Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Authentic Marks, 2020, Shaghaf Group, Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
- Blue, 2019, David Krut Projects, Johannesburg, South Africa.
- The Cat Show, 2018, David Krut Projects, Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Authentic Marks, 2018, Shaghaf Group, Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
- A Piece of Work, 2017, David Krut Projects, Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Re(union), 2017, Art.b, Cape Town, South Africa.
- Bona Fides, 2016, Jan Royce Gallery, Cape Town, South Africa
- Turbine Art Fair, 2021, Unearthed Project, Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Turbine Art Fair, 2019, David Krut Projects, Johannesburg, South Africa.
- University of Cape Town Permanent
Collection, Cape Town, South Africa.
- Shaghai Group Permanent Collection, Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
- The Project Space Collection, Johannesburg, South Africa.
- BA in Fine Arts – Majoring in Printmaking
and Art Theory
Graduated in 2015 from the University of
Cape Town, Michaelis School of Fine Arts.
- BA Honours – Curatorship Specialization
Graduated in 2016 from the University of
Cape Town, Michaelis School of Fine Arts
- Brenthurt Library. 2019 and 2021.
- Dk Conservators. 2018.
- David Krut Projects. 2014.
- Warren Editions. 2015.
COLLECTIVES AND SOCIETIES
The Printing Girls. Since 2021